Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair transplant is a surgical technique that removes individual hairs or follicular units, “one at a time” from the posterior donor harvesting site. FUE hair transplant is generally pursued for the treatment of androgenic alopecia also known as male pattern baldness. This genetic hair loss condition results in balding of crown frontal and temple points. FUE is a kind of clean and natural method for hair restoration.
The above mentioned technique contains quite a natural phenomenon to follow that is incredible in itself. FUE method consists of three steps which are collection, slit stage and plantation. In collection, grafts are removed from patient’s skin by hair restoration surgeon. In the second step the slits stage, the slits or holes on the skin are made so that hair can be planted in them. As they have a very thin passage from which hair can’t be passed artificially. In the last step, the implantation, hair is transported in the skin with implanter or forceps.
This type of treatment is beneficial though but has some harmful impacts also. Among the merits and demerits of FUE hair transplant, some positive aspects are;
- Transplant is done without a major trauma to the body.
- Local anesthesia is used.
- No scars appear on the skin.
- This type of treatment seems to be the natural one.
- Painless treatment
Besides these benefits, the treatment has some demerits also which are mentioned below;
- For most of the FUE procedures, the whole part to be donor area is shaved.
- The donor area for FUE is typically larger and surgeon may extract into upper, lower and side portions of donor area in order to get right amount of grafts for FUE
- The grafts that are extracted during FUE include hair follicle, bulb and a small amount of surrounding tissue. So these grafts are more fragile and more chances of transaction if surgeon is not skilled.
- Lastly, FUE method of treatment is more affordable than FUT due to opening of many new clinics.
Also if we consider about the success rate of this treatment, when the appropriate volume of follicular units is transplanted so that the adequate coverage is achieved, an FUE hair transplant ought to result in a 100% success